Thursday, September 6, 2007

To an Urban Sister

Lately, I have been stepping away from the principle of "keeping myself peaceable" about things in my personal/political life, though I continue to maintain that "multi-partial" position as a therapist. I believe I've done the latter so long that I've compromised myself as an individual. Funny how something you value about yourself can just slip away while you're busy developing a career and attending to the responsibilities of life.

Part of my feeling stuck has been a frustration with the requirement of keeping parts of myself I value from being expressed in an atmosphere where they are unacceptable. There are issues of social justice for myself, my clients and others that I have surrendered into my spiritual presence recognizing I, alone, have no way to influence change (other than through prayer/alchemy)--at least none without the support of a large part of the collective whole. I have practiced patience in awaiting the time of a shift I have felt--"known"--was coming for such a long time.

And now, it is time. I have moved into an action phase, determined to carve out a place in the world for the whole of who I am. I have begun to make the call for that shift in my writings and in my personal interactions. I've made the call to others to join together and envision a system transformed. I have become political -- eco-political. I have been exploring new concepts of local economies and have been meeting with a progressive group out this way.

This has given me an outlet at least, if not yet an outcome, for relieving the tension I feel of limitation, of bondage to a system that doesn't serve me--my "marriage", as you say to an "unholy" partner. Some release, some hope, some movement that allows me to "stay the course" (not my favorite phrase b/c it's from "the shrub") until I can enact my new role--my new role in a new economy, one that is ecologically based. I am allowing my emotions, powerful as they may be, speak for the truth I am and the form I choose to build.

As far as "splitting" on your good paycheck--I believe the day will come when you will have to choose--and then that security will fall away from you. It doesn't have to go all at once, but it's important to begin building your cushion or safety net--that which will hold you through the final change, but you are going to have to think outside the box in preparing that net. I don't believe we can count on the world or the economy ever being the same--in the very near future.

My "safety net" is building an eco-community or eco-village with a currency or means of exchange that will allow us to continue to live locally no matter what is going on globally in the economy or geo-political system. (That is, as long as we can keep the nukes out of it!) I have been thinking about how my profession, my talents translate into this new local economic base (one that is clearly more equitable than what we have now).

I can imagine what my role would be in a primitive society/tribe and I can envision where I would fit in a future, high tech local economy. Maybe still as a therapist, consultant, advisor about what I know of social psychology. Yup, I am seeing enormous change ahead, and the work of manifesting it is encouraging and energizing! What about you?

1 comment:

yours truly said...

Hi Linda,

Great to see you back! Sounds like some moving and shaking is going on ... wonderful! I so enjoy your writing, please don't stay away so long next time. Oh ... loved "the shrub" ... talk about great references! I got a good belly laugh out of that one!

my best,
Lora