Saturday, August 4, 2007

Hairspray and My Name in Lights

Not much to say today to the World of Blog. I played with googling keywords that brought up my blog--hehe, it was like seeing my name in lights! I always did think it would be fun to be on Broadway, and actually did musicals in community theater for a time. And speaking of musicals, I saw Hairspray tonight--crazy to see such electricity between Travolta and Christopher Walken in their dance routine! Whew! It appeared several times when they were boldly (audaciously) flirting with each other, almost daring one another in their "come-ons", that one or both might really break out laughing in total and unabashed amusement at the other. Also crazy to see that guy who's danced his way from Saturday Night Fever through Pulp Fiction in all kinds of wild and sexy ways being so motherly and knees together demure! Very upbeat and uplifting for a movie about such painful realities of the past--a past that still has its threads winding through the fabric of today.

4 comments:

singinghawk said...

Hello In her own voice,

I see you're still writing beautiful and poetic thoughts. Some day I think I might see your name on a book -- you definitely have quite a talent with words! I wish I had intelligent and profound comments to add to your thoughtful posts, but my brain is saturated lately with inanity. In any case, I leave you a humble hello and a thank you for stopping by and visiting.

Cheers!

Jane Rutherford said...

I"m not sure if I want to see Hairspray... I was so in love with the original that I don't want to destroy it by watching the new version... On the other hand seeing Travolta as a woman... Tough choice...

Is it worth it?

Confessions from the sandwich generation said...

We saw the movie Saturday night--Husband, Daughter #1 (25) and Daughter #2 (21). Daughter #2 used to wear out VHS tapes of "Grease" so it wasn't surprising that she loved "Hairspray". The rest of us enjoyed watching her face more than the movie as she was totally enraptured. I was surprised at how emotional I felt when the protest march scene came up--I remember marching for equal rights.

In her own Voice said...

miss jane, definitely "worth it"! Much fun, and as I said, so moving in moments.

sandwich, the march pulled at my heart too. and then, last night, i went to a meeting of progressives gathering to give each other support and to develop a way of speaking out. a couple of people have been a vigil for a few weeks standing on different bridges with signs to "impeach Cheney, first". I hope the bridges don't collapse!

Ana, you are always so supportive in your comments on my writing and I do appreciate it so much. Getting started and continuing a discipline of writing requires a little encouragement now and then! You are an artist, so you know how personal it is--an artist who's work I admire and am greatly inspired by. I wish I could have a room full of it!!